You will be watering less, you will be watering deeply and you will have a beautiful garden!
When making the switch to natives from more thirsty plant palettes there are some things to keep in mind to get the best results:
Get to know how long your 土壤 holds moisture by checking six to eight inches below the surface between waterings. Allow the excess moisture in the 土壤 to drain completely, but irrigate again before it becomes fully dry! California native plants are perfectly adapted to our arid climate and can withstand extended periods of heat and drought. 然而, 像所有苗木一样, container grown California native plants need careful attention and regular water during their establishment period in the landscape. After about three months of regular water, you can begin to taper the watering regime. Your microclimate and plant choice will ultimately determine your final supplemental irrigation needs.
For a 1 gallon plant, a very general guideline to follow would be:
|前1 - 3个月||每周1 x|
|3-24月||1-2 per month (some water loving species will require 4x|
|24 +个月||Some plants will naturalize (no supplemental water), others will need occasional irrigation if they are planted outside their natural habitat.|
Here is a more in-depth overview of watering natives.
Picture your 土壤 as the bank and water as the currency. 植物根据需要提取水分. 你的工作, 尤其是在旱季, is to make sure the account is replenished so plants can find water 14 – 20” deep in the 土壤, 喂食器的根在哪里. The layers between the deep root zone and the surface should stay moist as well, especially for perennials and flowering groundcovers that have shallow roots.
利用调用的方法 “Occasional Deep Soak Plus Frequent Refreshing Sprinkles.”
给一个 “深浸” when the 土壤 is dry to the touch 4” down.
Do “刷新洒” 任何时候.
浇水 ESTABLISHED NATIVE PLANT GARDENS
1. “深浸.” 把水深埋在土壤里. 应用1的等价物.5 – 2” rain event to the entire planted area every 3 – 4 weeks. Use the “pulse irrigation” technique to apply approx .5 – .75” per day, in early mornings, for 2 – 3 consecutive days. For most sprinkler systems you would run the sprinklers approx 40 minutes each day. You won’t need to do this again for around 3 weeks, though the interval could be between 2 and 4 weeks depending on weather, 土壤, 花园成熟, 曝光, 和很多因素. The point is to infrequently but thoroughly soak the 土壤 to a depth of 14 – 20”. Try to water in anticipation of extreme heat events. Best to water on early mornings on days with cooler summer overcast conditions. This puts moisture where roots will find it when they need it. 不要在炎热的天气里浇水.
2. “清凉撒.” Put water on the plants and 土壤 surface only. Best done by hand (it’s fun) or with the irrigation system, Refreshing Sprinkles take the stress off the plants during hot weather. 它很简单. 在一天结束的时候出去, 在夏天, around 7:30 pm and wet the entire garden with a spray nozzle from your garden hose. Wash the leaves, and wet the 土壤 surface. 不要超过5-10分钟. Turn the hose straight up overhead and take a quick garden shower so you can feel the instant cooling your plants are getting. Watch for hummingbirds who may slip in for a quick bath. You can do Refreshing Sprinkles 2 – 3 times a week or more, always at the end of the day. This moisture refreshes the leaves and cools the entire site so the garden has a restful “sleep” and can start the next hot day with no stress. Virtually no moisture soaks into the root zone, but the new moisture on the surface helps lock in the valuable moisture from your Deep Soaks. Also plants can absorb water through their leaves, especially in late afternoon, early evening.
必要时用手浇水. 这一点再怎么强调也不过分. Use a hose-end watering wand or set a mini sprinkler to water sections of the garden. Start and stop your irrigation controller manually for best results. The finest natural gardens only use the automatic sprinklers as a backup system. Hand watering is best, especially on new plantings.
Here are some more tips to keep in mind.
- water in the early morning when the 土壤 is coolest thoroughly soak the 土壤, do so with lower application rates over a longer durations
- water in anticipation of heat events not during, watch the forecast
- check your irrigation system’s accuracy and effectiveness more than once
- plant in fall when establishing and watering plants is easier, if summer is a must see our summer water handout
- for established plants every 3 weeks in the summer (dependent on 土壤 type) can help refresh plantings as well as an occasional quick rinse early in the day
- choose plants that can tolerate your 土壤 type and microclimate and watering will be easier
- water frequently for short durations